Monday, January 16, 2006

Sanctioned Eavesdropping

Sometimes when I watch a movie, I'll be struck by a line or comment that is made which reverberates as absolutely true with me. Back in the 90s, a movie called "The Paper" starred Michael Keaton as a newsreporter who is a classic workaholic, driven by the adrenaline of getting the perfect story before the paper goes to press. He and his wife Marisa Tomei, who is equally driven, are expecting the birth of their first child at any time. She has been given time off though and there's a slight rift between them because she no longer has the same kind of pressure from deadlines. One evening, Keaton's character is supposed to join his wife and her parents for a long-delayed dinner. He promises to be there but a lead on a story comes in and he ends up missing the dinner. Later that night they have an argument and Marisa's charcter gives him a scenario:

Marisa: Suppose there was a terrorist. And he had a gun to my head and he told you to choose. The paper or me. What would you do?
Michael: Don't be ridiculous. Of course I'd choose you. But that would never happen.
Marisa: Exactly. We never have to make big choices like that. It's the little choices that we make every day that make a difference.

Of course this is all an approximation of what was said and my memory isn't so hot, but I remember being struck by the absolute truth of it. So this week, that's what we'll be doing--noticing the conversations that go around us and seeing what is interesting, strange, revealing, or even profound.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dogwalker Anonymous said...

Staring at the security cameras all day will eventually make your eyes cross and the world to haze out in to a big black hole. It was at this point my cowrker Leland answered the loudly ringing phone.
In his super-low, manly voice, he spoke quietly into the reciever knowingly. Every once in while a deep tone of voice, then a slightly sweet high-pitched note would reach my ears. Then the conclusion. Short and halting "I love you's" and "I miss you too baby" fill our little office like an echo. It sounds so wierd when you a hear an incredibly deep voice half whisper with lots of love and emotion "I love you baby. I love you, I miss you. Come visit me, Ok, I love you, bye".

11:29 PM  
Blogger Dogwalker Anonymous said...

Once again my blog wouldnt let me post it so i am forced to do it this way :)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Dogwalker Anonymous said...

The radio blared as I sat in the office. Tony, one of the elderly cashiers, ha da certain blunt personailty and this day was no different. As the signal screeched on the reciever, she announced allover the department store, "I need a zoner to take over, I have to pee". It was gonna be one of those days...

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home